Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why yes I am going to be a teacher....

So it has been a long time since I blogged...I was on a break! :) So what is up with Ashley??? Well it is official I am going to be a teacher! **gasp** I guess all those years living with Education majors rubbed off on me. I am doing this alternative certification program and subbing until I get my own class. So this week has been the week of Kindergarten! Monday I taught Kindergarten at one of the 2 Elementary schools in Anna. So when people tell you that kids have the attention span of their age, believe them. I never really thought about it till I had a class full of 5 year olds. It was quite the experience, because as I passed out the papers to the class and explained what to do the kids who got the papers first were ready for something new. Anyway it wasn't actually bad and I really enjoyed it! I was really surprised, because I have always wanted to teach middle or high school, so i was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I actually liked Kindergarten. Anyway come Tuesday my thighs were killing me...this was due to all the squatting down on Monday! :)

So Wednesday I get a call at 8 asking if I would teach Kindergarten at the other Elementary school! ...of course I said yes...always say yes to money :) Well too my surprise when I got there I was teaching the BILINGUAL class. What does this mean??? Oh it means that they learn both Spanish and English. I of course took German, French, and Italian...but in all my years no Spanish. As my sister would say...I told you to take Spanish, because one day you'll need it! So I had to stand at the front of the class in my "best" accent talk about la letra U...and then uvas (grapes), uno, uniciclo, oh the list goes on. Of course the class would correct my Spanish throughout the whole lesson! It was really quite funny! What is even funnier is that when I had some extra time, the teacher had told me to read to them. So I go over to the bookshelf and look through the books. Well while I'm looking I find that they are ALL in Spanish...so under my breathe I say are there any English books. One little 5 year behind me says Ms. Besco this is Spanish class all the books are in Spanish! Oh the smart little girl! Needless to say...I think it is about time I learn Spanish, after all my years of saying I'll never learn it! :)

Well on Saturday I take the LSAT! YIKES! AM I ready??? Negative! hahaha! So just keep me in your prayers! :)

Love yall,

Ashley

2 comments:

Kat said...

Ashley I think we need to go back to Draper and take a pic in our caps and gowns together. haha You were just joking when you told people that you weren't an education major. haha

Kira in Austin said...

Besco!!! Hahaha.. loved your spanish story!!!